[CentOS-devel] [CentOS] CentOS IRC channels moving to irc.libera.chat

Digimer

lists at alteeve.ca
Wed May 19 17:01:57 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-19 10:49 a.m., Rich Bowen wrote:
> TL;DR: #centos and #centos-* are moving to libera.chat
>
> Over the past few days, there has been some upheaval on the Frenode
> IRC network, resulting in a number of the staff members quitting and
> starting a new IRC network. I wont attempt to explain all the details
> here, but you can read more at https://kline.sh which also links to
> other sources.
>
> The various ops have discussed the situation, and we intend to migrate
> all of the various #centos-* channels from Freenode over to
> irc.libera.chat over the coming days.
>
> This will take time, since libera is still spinning up, and some
> servers are moving from one network to the other.
>
> As libera is still in the early stages of setup, you may have
> significantly more timeouts/disconnects, netsplits and other issues
> for now. Until the new network is fully stable, we'll all continue
> to be present in the Freenode chanels.
>
> Please bring further questions to the IRC channels (on either network).

We're dealing with this same issue on the clusterlabs channels. We're
debating libera.chat and oftc, with my personal preference being OFTC,
given it's 20 year history, hosting other OSS projects, and being
disconnected entirely from the current drama.

Has the CentOS community considered OFTC? If so, I'm curious what made
libera.chat win out. I have no horse in the race of either, and ask to
see if I'm missing arguments for/against OFTC or libera.

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of