[CentOS-devel] [EXT] Re: RFC: kmods SIG Proposal

Peter Georg

peter.georg at physik.uni-regensburg.de
Fri May 21 12:58:03 UTC 2021

On 21/05/2021 13.01, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 6:36 AM Alex Iribarren <alex.m.lists3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,

>>> Yes.
>>
>> Do you know if OpenAFS would also be excluded from this SIG? We
>> currently build the kmods ourselves for each kernel release but we would
>> love to be able to push that upstream.
>>

> Unfortunately, yes. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#IBMPL

According to your link I assume you want to imply that only GPL (v2)
compatible licenses are allowed?

I also looked up what Fedora considers a "good" license for packaging:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main?rd=Licensing#Good_Licenses

These two lists are quite different.

Not trying to imply that you are wrong, just trying to figure out what I
should write in the proposal.

Can someone maybe contact legal to have an "official" answer what
license requirements we have to adhere to for packaging within a CentOS
SIG? Or is "GPL v2 compatible" the official answer?

Once we have an answer, it'd be good to add this to the CentOS Wiki.
Currently there is only vague information there about licensing
concerning packaging. Or at least I couldn't find it there.