[CentOS-devel] [EXT] Re: RFC: kmods SIG Proposal

Peter Georg

peter.georg at physik.uni-regensburg.de
Sun May 23 14:16:58 UTC 2021

On 21/05/2021 22.47, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On May 21, 2021, at 07:01, Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Though at least that one seems to have hope to be replaced with one
>> built into Linux in the near future:
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/fs/afs
>
> I’m looking at building openafs kmods for the storage SIG,  it I am also
> testing kAFS.
>
> I’ve actually got a c9s VM running with this commit to turn kAFS on:
>
> https://gitlab.com/jsbillings/kernel/-/commit/7749d2a944ef0a005f9b86bd3b9f20405f1ace42
> <https://gitlab.com/jsbillings/kernel/-/commit/7749d2a944ef0a005f9b86bd3b9f20405f1ace42>
>
> I’d love to work on a method building in-kernel kmods out of the kernel
> package.  I could also build a whole SIG-branded kernel but that seems
> like a huge waste of time.

I do not know much about the kAFS module. However, by looking at it, it
seems to fit into the second group of kernel modules to be provided by
this proposed SIG.

Of course it'd then be the question whether kAFS shall be provided by a
"kmods" SIG or the storage SIG. Anyway, I am happy to work together on
establishing a common method for building such in-kernel kmods not
enabled for the CentOS Stream kernel. I already do have spec files ready
for such kernel modules, e.g. isci, for c8s. The changes required for
c9s should be straightforward. However, setting up the method to built
such modules is not the issue. The real work is to make sure these
modules still work after a kernel update. Especially with all the
backporting done by Red Hat.