[CentOS-devel] RFC: kmods SIG Proposal

Jeffrey E Altman

jaltman at auristor.com
Sun May 23 19:00:07 UTC 2021

On 5/23/2021 10:32 AM, Peter Georg
(peter.georg at physik.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for the input so far. I updated the original proposal
> to reflect your input. In case I forgot something, please let me know.

This looks very good so far.  One comment below:

> === In-kernel modules not enabled for CentOS Stream ===
> Many in-kernel modules are simply disabled for the CentOS Stream kernel.
> This may either be due to  drivers being deprecated and removed compared
> to older CentOS major releases or never being enabled in the first
> place. This SIG aims to provide these in-kernel drivers as external
> kernel modules to enable CentOS Stream running on a broader range of
> available hardware and provide other beneficial functionality.
>
> === Third-party external kernel modules ===

Might I suggest "out-of-kernel modules" instead of "third-party external
kernel modules".

> This SIG also aims to provide third-party kernel modules for CentOS
> Stream not (yet) available in upstream kernel.

The "not (yet)" makes me wonder what the criteria for inclusion are.  Is
it a requirement that the module might be accepted into the upstream
kernel if submitted?  If this is the intent, I believe that would
exclude two categories of modules.  First, modules that provide
functionality already provided by an actively maintained in-kernel
module.  Second, modules whose licenses are not listed in
include/linux/license.h.

Later on the "What's not in scope" section says:

 > * Third-party kernel modules with a non GPL v2 compatible license
which is overly broad.  Might I suggest:

[BEGIN]
==== Out-of-kernel modules =====

This SIG also aims to provide out-of-kernel modules for CentOS that
might be accepted into the upstream kernel if submitted.  This category
excludes:

  * modules whose primary functionality is already provided by an
    actively maintained in-kernel module.

  * modules whose licenses are not included in include/linux/license.h
    (see license_is_gpl_compatible()).
[END]

I hope this is helpful.

Jeffrey Altman