[CentOS-devel] Enabling PowerTools by default? (and proof-of-concept alternative)

Michel Alexandre Salim

michel at michel-slm.name
Wed May 26 00:46:06 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-05-21 at 06:32 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 3:31 AM Alfredo Moralejo Alonso
> <amoralej at redhat.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 2:58 AM Michel Alexandre Salim <
> > michel at michel-slm.name> wrote:

> > > Yeah, we're exploring that option since we'll soon have
> > > Hyperscale
> > > instalation media anyway.
> > >
> > > My pipe dream (doable, but I probably want to wait for the DNF ->
> > > microdnf rewrite dust to settle) is to be able to declare
> > > dependencies
> > > between repos.
> > >

> > +1 that'd be a nice feature
> >

> > > e.g.
> > >
> > > epel-release recommends (repo(PowerTools) if centos-stream-repos)
> > > => this signals to DNF that, hey, when epel-release is installed,
> > > flip
> > > PowerTools on, and if likewise PowerTools recommends another
> > > repo, it
> > > gets transitively enabled as well.
> > >

> Has someone made a feature request to DNF for this on Red Hat
> Bugzilla?

Not that I know of. I want to bring up the related idea of being able
to provide overrides to repo configurations (similar to how systemd let
you override files in /usr/lib/systemd in /etc/systemd) to the next DNF
community meeting; I can bring this up too as an alternative and see
what the core developers think.

Best regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim