[CentOS-devel] Can CentOS Stream 8 Devel repo be populated

Mon May 17 18:46:26 UTC 2021
Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com>

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 1:34 PM Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org> wrote:

> [...]
> >      >     other requests for built but
> >      >     unreleased pkgs in Devel repo, so having a status update on
> >     that one
> >      >     would be good too)
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > Well played good sir.
> >      > Unfortunately I only deal with the CentOS Stream 9 stuff, but I
> will
> >      > bring it up in the team meeting.
> >      >
> >      > I wrote this email on the centos-devel mailing list, as an EPEL
> >     package
> >      > maintainer, that has a problem.  Because my EPEL work is done in
> my
> >      > spare time, and it's a legitimate EPEL packager problem.  And I'd
> >     like
> >      > the solution to be public, and not behind closed doors.
> >      >
> >      > Troy
> >      >

> >     I'm not sure I understand why this is even an issue anymore. Now
> CentOS
> >     Stream is upstream of RHEL, surely there are no constraints to only
> >     ship
> >     what RHEL (downstream) ships? Why wouldn't CentOS Stream simply ship
> >     everything and if RHEL decides upon a policy to only ship/support a
> >     certain subset of (-devel) packages, that is a RH/RHEL decision that
> >     can
> >     be implemented downstream by removing the bits they don't want to
> >     ship/support and should have zero impact upstream? RH/RHEL are free
> >     do whatever they want downstream.
> >
> >     Or have I completely misunderstood the relationship here?
> >

> Hi Troy,
>

> > Actually, you understood it correctly.
> >
> > It seems an email got misplaced.  When it was announced that CentOS
> > Stream 9 koji build system, including the buildroot, was now publically
> > available, there was also supposed to be a similar announcement
> > concerning CentOS Stream 8.  For some reason, that announcement failed
> > to get sent.
> >
> > So, you are correct, there currently is a way for the EPEL community (or
> > COPR, or whoever wants) to get access to the CentOS Stream 8 build
> > system and complete  buildroot.  I simply was not aware of it.
> >

> Except, as you stated earlier in the thread, they are not in the CentOS
> Stream repos, so it is still not possible to easily pull them into build
> environments.
>
> I believe your question is valid. Why are these packages being excluded
> from CenOS Stream in the first place? I understand why they are excluded
> from CentOS Linux 8, as that is a like for like rebuild of RHEL 8, and
> what is not in RHEL will not be in CentOS Linux. But CentOS Stream is
> upstream of RHEL, not downstream, so I do not understand why ANY built
> devel packages are excluded from the CentOS Stream repos. Why would you
> not ship everything you build??? RHEL policy decisions should not affect

This is mostly because we also don't ship it in RHEL and we don't ship it
there because we don't want to be on the hook to support it (even RHEL has
a budget and limited resources).

As far as CentOS Stream, the promise is that if it runs in CentOS Stream
today it should run in the next version of RHEL.  By including content in
Stream that we don't include in RHEL, suddenly that promise is broken if
someone accidentally uses it assuming it's in RHEL.

I'm not saying there aren't ways to work through these issues, but I wanted
to give some ideas as to the thought process that got us here.

           -Mike