[CentOS-devel] Can CentOS Stream 8 Devel repo be populated

Mon May 17 20:10:16 UTC 2021
Kaleb Keithley <kkeithle at redhat.com>

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 3:46 PM Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org> wrote:

> But from what Mike just said, EPEL/SIGs should _NOT_ be building against
> those
> missing -devel packages on Stream because anything built on Stream must
> also run on RHEL?

It took me a while to get my head around this.

The C8 Stream and C9 Stream _buildroots_ have all the packages, including
the -devel packages. (For some definition of all.)

If you have privs to build in koji.stream, or CBS (for C8 Stream and some
day C9 Stream) then you can expect your build to find the required -devel
rpms in the buildroot.

Most (or hopefully all?) shipping package sets don't need the -devel
dependencies at run-time. As long as the base packages corresponding to the
-devel dependencies are in C8 or C9 Stream (or in RHEL) somewhere, then you
should be fine, right?

Or if they're not in one of the C8 or C9 Stream repos (BaseOS, AppStream,
Powertools/CodeReadyBuilder) then maybe you'll be able to tag those
packages into your SIG repo?

The only place where this sort of falls apart is how to get/use these
-devel dependencies on an external build machine, e.g. I have my C9 Stream
vm running on my desktop. My only option is to manually download all the
"missing" -devel rpms from koji.stream.centos.org and install them that
way. Which is less than optimal! I kinda feel like a solution for this is
what is being asked for when people ask for a Devel repo.

Are there any flaws in my understanding?

--

Kaleb