[CentOS-devel] [EXT] Re: RFC: Stream Kernel SIG Proposal

Wed May 19 14:09:11 UTC 2021
Peter Georg <peter.georg at physik.uni-regensburg.de>

On 18/05/2021 19.44, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On 5/18/21 6:43 AM, Peter Georg wrote:
>>
>> So in case there is any way to move this SIG proposal forward, or some
>> other more suitable way (under the umbrella of centos-plus or some
>> other SIG?) to provide such kmod packages, please let me know.
>
> I'm not certain if this is what you are asking, but the way forward with
> the SIG proposal is to write a SIG proposal, and bring it to the Board
> of Directors.

Indeed it was not what I was initially asking for. However this answer
of yours, and the one to redbaronbrowser later, caused me to take a step
back re-think about how to approach this:

The possible SIG named "Stream Kernel SIG" discussed in this topic here
has been initially brought up by redbaronbrowser and included 4 goals. I
later proposed to add building kmods as a fifth goal. redbaronbrowser
described his idea of a possible SIG in the inital post. However I'm not
sure this qualifies as a proposal. In addition, as you mentioned, there
are some open questions. I think these questions are mostly related to
the initial goals #1, #3, and #4. IMHO some of these goals are not
feasible within the scope of a SIG.

Hence I'm now thinking about splitting the fifth goal from this "Stream
Kernel SIG" and write a proposal for a "kmods" SIG only containing this
particular goal.

Whether one wants to add the second goal of redbaronbrowser's initial
idea - building the CentOS Plus kernel - is a different question and imo
up to the current devolpers/maintainers of kernel-plus. This can be
discussed later.

Before I start writing a proposal for a "kmods SIG": Does this make
sense to you?