[CentOS-devel] CentOS IRC channels moving to irc.libera.chat

Thu May 20 02:30:00 UTC 2021
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 1:18 PM Rich Bowen <rbowen at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 5/19/21 1:09 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:50 AM Rich Bowen <rbowen at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> TL;DR: #centos and #centos-* are moving to libera.chat
>
> > Can you elaborate a bit on the choice of libera.chat  What made it
> > appealing to move to?  Why is it more trustworthy than freenode or
> > oftc?
> >
> > I'm simply curious, not objecting to the move.
>
> Once the dust settles, libera.chat will be freenode with a new name.
> Same staff. Many of the same hosted/donated servers. Same channels, for
> the most part. This is all just a very disruptive, inconvenient renaming
> of the network. Like in 1998, but with memes.
>
> John answered the "why not oftc" question else-thread, and he has more
> experience with both networks than I.

Wow. I see that the name "librenode", to follow the recent traditions
of "libressl" and "libreoffice" software forks, was unavailable. Sorry
you folks have been made so unhappy, such a mess can take years if not
decades to recover from.