[CentOS-devel] Stream ISO retention

Sat May 29 14:50:01 UTC 2021
aleksander.baranowski <aleksander.baranowski at yahoo.pl>

+1 for symlink of the most recent build. IMO it's always good idea.

When it comes to the packer templates and checksums, you might be able
to do the following:

1. the first option -  instead of fixed checksum use the following
`file://https://link/to/checksums` like in the example at
https://www.packer.io /docs/builders/qemu. I have never tried this, but
this **might** work

2. the second option is to parse checksum file (probably from URL)
manually. Export checksum as an environment variable, add variables
block to packer template that maps envs to local variables, then use
variables. It could look like:

```
//IN BUILDER
 "iso_checksum": "sha1:{{user `iso_checksum`}}",
 "iso_url": "{{user `iso_url`}}",
//Variables are in root of packer json
 "variables": {
 "iso_checksum": "{{env `ISO_CHECKSUM`}}",
 "iso_url": "{{env `ISO_NAME`}}",
 }
```

You might probably simplify this by using `env` instead of `user` and
removing variables block. I never thought about this because our packer
templates are a little bit more complicated, and using environment
variables as the only way to fill template helps us keep build in check.

Best,
Alex