[CentOS-devel] Can CentOS Stream 8 Devel repo be populated

Mon May 17 20:21:45 UTC 2021
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 17/05/2021 21:10, Kaleb Keithley wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 3:46 PM Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org
> <mailto:pperry at elrepo.org>> wrote:
>

>     But from what Mike just said, EPEL/SIGs should _NOT_ be building
>     against those
>     missing -devel packages on Stream because anything built on Stream must
>     also run on RHEL?
>

> It took me a while to get my head around this.
>
> The C8 Stream and C9 Stream _buildroots_ have all the packages,
> including the -devel packages. (For some definition of all.)
>
> If you have privs to build in koji.stream, or CBS (for C8 Stream and
> some day C9 Stream) then you can expect your build to find the required
> -devel rpms in the buildroot.
>
> Most (or hopefully all?) shipping package sets don't need the -devel
> dependencies at run-time. As long as the base packages corresponding to
> the -devel dependencies are in C8 or C9 Stream (or in RHEL) somewhere,
> then you should be fine, right?

Absolutely, that's my understanding too, a normal binary should run fine
on any system without the -devel package being installed, so long as the
-devel package only contains headers etc required for the build and has
no runtime requirements (these should be in the main package, not the
-devel package).

But Mike stated the reason for CentOS Stream not shipping the missing
-devel packages is that what is developed and runs on Stream should also
run on the next version of RHEL. Hence this is not a valid reason for
not shipping these packages in Stream, as the missing -devel packages
should never be required when installing the resulting binaries on the
next version of RHEL.

> Or if they're not in one of the C8 or C9 Stream repos (BaseOS,
> AppStream, Powertools/CodeReadyBuilder) then maybe you'll be able to tag
> those packages into your SIG repo?
>
> The only place where this sort of falls apart is how to get/use these
> -devel dependencies on an external build machine, e.g. I have my C9
> Stream vm running on my desktop. My only option is to manually download
> all the "missing" -devel rpms from koji.stream.centos.org
> <http://koji.stream.centos.org> and install them that way. Which is less
> than optimal! I kinda feel like a solution for this is what is being
> asked for when people ask for a Devel repo.
>
> Are there any flaws in my understanding?

That is how I see it too.