[CentOS-devel] [CentOS] CentOS IRC channels moving to irc.libera.chat

Wed May 19 17:07:39 UTC 2021
John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com>

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 01:01:57PM -0400, Digimer wrote:

> Has the CentOS community considered OFTC? If so, I'm curious what made
> libera.chat win out. I have no horse in the race of either, and ask to
> see if I'm missing arguments for/against OFTC or libera.

It's a different culture and oftc is unable to scale the way that the
sponsor model of libera allows.  It's also _all_ the same staff from
freenode as of this morning.  Same operational mode.  Same commands.
Same culture.  Same trust established with working with the staffers
over many years.

It appears that Fedora is moving to libera as well:

https://pagure.io/Fedora-Council/tickets/issue/371

I expect some of the other Red Hat-based project channels
(#anaconda, for instance) will also move but this is merely a hunch.

							John
--
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.

-- Kurt Vonnegut