[CentOS-devel] Missing packages on Devel repo

Thu Nov 18 12:14:39 UTC 2021
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 4:46 PM Brian Stinson <brian at bstinson.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021, at 14:47, Odilon Junior wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> As the $SUBJECT says, after the latest release of Centos 8,  the Devel[1] repo is not populated.
>
> I can see the packages for 8.4.2105[2]. Is this expected for this latest release?
>
> ---
> Regards,
> Odilon
>
> 1 - http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/
> 2 - https://vault.centos.org/8.4.2105/Devel/
>

> That is expected. Just a reminder CentOS Linux 8 goes End Of Life in December: https://www.centos.org/centos-linux-eol/ please plan accordingly.

I don't think anyone expected this. There was no reason to expect the
individual channel to be shut off several months in advance of the EOL
of the operating system. It's like moving the family to a new house
only after the move announce that the dog is not coming with us.

This breaks working tools, like my tools that backport samba with full
and stable Heimdal based Kerberos  According to the Samba maintainers,
the MIT kerberos used by the latest Fedora releases is not yet well
enough integrated for production work, which is why I publish
https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo/ for Fedor and for RHEL releases.
But they rely on 'quota-devel' for compilation, which is used by RHEL
and CentOS for compiling their more limited versions of Samba but is
arbitrarily hidden under tablecloth over in the 'Devel' channel.

> If you need a package that was previously in the Devel repo to support your migration you may download from vault.centos.org or from the buildsystem: https://koji.mbox.centos.org
>
> --Brian

This kind of arbitrary, unannounced and unwelcome change is part of
why people are losing trust in Red Hat and in CentOS as a reliable
rebuild of RHEL It's mirrored by the very peculiar and illogical split
up of "ansible" to "ansible-core" and "ansible", which I've written
about elsewhere. This kind of refactoring is unwelcome and breaks
things, I'd have expected better from RHEL a few years ago. Now....
I've lost considerable confidence in Red Hat and in CentOS