[CentOS-devel] MirrorManager link redirect issue

Wed Nov 10 17:40:15 UTC 2021
Mike Rochefort <mroche at redhat.com>

I just had a merge request[0] pulled into the osinfo-db project that
adds CentOS Stream 9 details. This is used by tools like GNOME Boxes
to discover and download ISOs as well as configure generic VM
information. The MR stems from a user reporting Boxes wasn't listing
Stream 9 as an available option.

As part of the process I had to provide direct URLs to the Stream 9
ISOs. I would have preferred to have used the MirrorManager links,
such as:

https://mirrors.centos.org/mirrorlist?path=/9-stream/BaseOS/x86_64/iso/CentOS-Stream-9-latest-x86_64-dvd1.iso&redirect=1&protocol=https

But these URLs don't redirect properly with tools like wget or curl,
instead returning a list of available mirror links to download from.
It works just fine in a browser, maybe I don't know the proper flags
to pass to make this work as expected. Currently the base URL used is
from the mirror.stream.centos.org site.

Is there a way to make the MM links work, or is pointing to the CentOS
mirror alright for this?

[0] https://gitlab.com/libosinfo/osinfo-db/-/merge_requests/366

--
Mike Rochefort