[CentOS-devel] Missing packages on Devel repo

Thu Nov 18 12:44:53 UTC 2021
Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com>

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 7:15 AM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 4:46 PM Brian Stinson <brian at bstinson.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Nov 17, 2021, at 14:47, Odilon Junior wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > As the $SUBJECT says, after the latest release of Centos 8,  the Devel[1] repo is not populated.
> >
> > I can see the packages for 8.4.2105[2]. Is this expected for this latest release?
> >
> > ---
> > Regards,
> > Odilon
> >
> > 1 - http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/
> > 2 - https://vault.centos.org/8.4.2105/Devel/
> >

> > That is expected. Just a reminder CentOS Linux 8 goes End Of Life in December: https://www.centos.org/centos-linux-eol/ please plan accordingly.
>
> I don't think anyone expected this. There was no reason to expect the
> individual channel to be shut off several months in advance of the EOL
> of the operating system. It's like moving the family to a new house
> only after the move announce that the dog is not coming with us.
>
> This breaks working tools, like my tools that backport samba with full
> and stable Heimdal based Kerberos  According to the Samba maintainers,
> the MIT kerberos used by the latest Fedora releases is not yet well
> enough integrated for production work, which is why I publish
> https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo/ for Fedor and for RHEL releases.
> But they rely on 'quota-devel' for compilation, which is used by RHEL
> and CentOS for compiling their more limited versions of Samba but is
> arbitrarily hidden under tablecloth over in the 'Devel' channel.

quota-devel is available in PowerTools

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8-stream/PowerTools/x86_64/os/Packages/quota-devel-4.04-14.el8.x86_64.rpm
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/PowerTools/x86_64/os/Packages/quota-devel-4.04-14.el8.x86_64.rpm

> > If you need a package that was previously in the Devel repo to support your migration you may download from vault.centos.org or from the buildsystem: https://koji.mbox.centos.org
> >
> > --Brian
>
> This kind of arbitrary, unannounced and unwelcome change is part of
> why people are losing trust in Red Hat and in CentOS as a reliable
> rebuild of RHEL It's mirrored by the very peculiar and illogical split
> up of "ansible" to "ansible-core" and "ansible", which I've written
> about elsewhere. This kind of refactoring is unwelcome and breaks
> things, I'd have expected better from RHEL a few years ago. Now....
> I've lost considerable confidence in Red Hat and in CentOS

ansible is a separate product from RHEL and is not part of RHEL
itself.  The refactoring is something the Ansible product is pursuing
and we have to adapt to their plans.  As a result, we will be
including ansible-core in RHEL to enable rhel-system-roles, but the
bulk of what people consider 'ansible' to be will still need to be
acquired from outside of RHEL.

josh