[CentOS-devel] Stream 9 and dnf-automatic

Sun Sep 19 03:25:51 UTC 2021
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 12:57:02PM +0000, Patrick Riehecky wrote:

> I'd like to make the following proposal to see what people think about
> it:
> * add `dnf-automatic` to comps.xml @BASE as a "default" package
> * set `dnf-automatic-install.timer` to enabled via `system-preset`
> similar to `90-default.preset`

I think this is a good idea. We did this for years with Boston University
Linux, and I've run with automatic updates in other production environments.
If you're doing it at scale, you need to have some process around it... but
if you're leaving everything the defaults at scale, well, honestly, I think
in this day and age "yes you get updates" is a better default than the
other.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>