[CentOS-devel] How to compile modular SRPMs for CentOS 8?

Fri Apr 15 00:38:09 UTC 2022
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 7:42 AM Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 at 23:08, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I admit to disliking "modularity" for RPMs, especially because there
>> are various modularity RPMs I'd like to compile for python 3.9
>> compatibility. ansible-core requires at least python 3.8, but there
>> are a stack of dependencies for ansible-core which have never been
>> provided for python 3.9, such as python39-sphinx and python39-pytest..
>>
>> Can anyone offer me suggestions or guidance on how to build those? The
>> SRPMs for python3-pytest and others seem to support modularity, but
>> I'd like to use "mock" locally to test them out.
>

> Would grabbing them out of koji.mbox.centos.org and  putting them in a separate repository you used work?
>
> https://koji.mbox.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=16964 pytest-6.0.2-2.module_el8.5.0+738+dc19af12

That doesn't help at all. I need python 3.8 or python 3.9 versions of
various packages, which are not published there. It's why I asked how
to build them, not where to find modularity enabled SRPMs.

As a side note, the pytest package suffers the classic naming scheme
issue: The SRPM is called "Pytest", the RPMs generated are referred to
as "python-pytest". This way lies madness.

> I don't see 39 versions of nose and mock but I think that is because they are considered dead by upstream python.

That seems unlikely, since sphinx requires mock. I'd not assume such a
"cunning plot" unless someone has decided to discard sphinx as
obsolete, which is *very* commonplace in order to package the
documentation. It seems simpler to assume that modularity is not
consistently maintained, and I've not so far seen any hint that it
ever will be.