[CentOS-devel] RabbitMQ eats 1.6GB ram on CentOS Stream 9

Thu Aug 11 15:34:59 UTC 2022
Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen at redhat.com>

On Thu, 11 Aug 2022 at 10:56, Marcin Juszkiewicz <
marcin.juszkiewicz at linaro.org> wrote:

> As part of OpenStack deployments we deploy RabbitMQ. During current
> cycle I looked at moving from CentOS Stream 8 to 9.
>
> And RabbitMQ is a problem.
>
> When I boot CentOS Stream 9 system and then use just built 'rabbitmq'
> container memory use of "/usr/lib64/erlang/erts-12.3.2.2/bin/beam.smp"
> process goes up to 1.6GB ram:

CS9 on CS9

> (rabbitmq)[root at kolla-cs9 /]# rabbitmq-diagnostics memory_breakdown
> Reporting memory breakdown on node rabbit at kolla-cs9...
> other_system: 1.6233 gb (68.59%)
> allocated_unused: 0.5164 gb (21.82%)

CS9 on Debian (versions?)

> If I boot the same container on Debian host then same process uses 0.2GB
> ram:
>
> (rabbitmq)[root at debian /]# rabbitmq-diagnostics memory_breakdown
> Reporting memory breakdown on node rabbit at debian...
> binary: 0.2787 gb (70.2%)
> code: 0.0355 gb (8.93%)
> other_system: 0.0255 gb (6.44%)

Debian on CS9

Stats needed for better than

> Booted CS9 system and deployed OpenStack using Debian based containers.
> Again 1.6GB memory use.
>
> So let build CS9 based containers using Erlang/RabbitMQ from CentOS
> Stream 9 "messaging/rabbitmq-38" repository. Again 1.6GB memory use.

So if I cut and summarized your data correctly:

CS9 container of rabbitmq on CS9 base system: Other_system bloats to 1.6 GB
CS9 container of rabbitmq on Debian base system: Other system stays at
0.025 GB
Debian container of rabbitmq on CS9 base system: Something bloats to 1.6GB
Built-from-scratch container of rabbitmq on CS9 base system: Something
bloats to 1.6Gb

I think we would want to make sure that the 'Something' in those is also
Other system, and then look to see what is 'Other system' and what controls
it. After that it would be to see what is 'controlling' that. How was this
container run? podman, docker, something else? How was this system
configured? Base install of packages?

Thanks.

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.