[CentOS-devel] What to do with wiki.centos.org ? (let's discuss it)

Wed Aug 24 21:28:32 UTC 2022
Davide Cavalca <dcavalca at fb.com>

On Wed, 2022-08-24 at 15:08 +0200, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> The question is so : do we want/need to keep wiki.centos.org running
> ?
> Most of the content (if not almost 99%) is outdated/unmaintained at
> this
> stage, and deciding what to do about content , and how/where to
> migrate
> it would make sense.

I'm strongly in favor of sunsetting the wiki and replacing it with
static sites. From previous discussions, there's a few classes of
documents currently on the wiki:
- official/policy information: these could be moved to the main website
(example: https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS8/UnshippedPackages)
- events: these could be moved to static site under centos.org (e.g.
events.centos.org or something like that); this is anything under
https://wiki.centos.org/Events/
- SIG landing pages and docs: these could be moved to sigs.centos.org
(anything under https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/)
- misc tutorials, docs, FAQ, etc: these should probably be triaged
first, but I'd be in favor of spinning up something like Fedora Quick
Docs (https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/) to host them

One thing that we should be mindful of preserving is
internationalization; right now the wiki allows folks to contribute
translations of any page into their local language, which is valuable
both for the end users and as an avenue of contribution to the project.
I'd really like to be able to preserve this in any new system we end up
with.

Cheers
Davide