[CentOS-devel] Fwd: [CentOS] CentOS 7: Missing Thunderbird Updates

Thu Dec 1 12:56:19 UTC 2022
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 12/1/22 01:00, Simon Matter wrote:
>> On 11/30/22 11:41, Chris Schanzle via CentOS-devel wrote:
>>> Thanks for the reference, Simon.  [tl;dr: delays due to CentOS folks
>>> repeating tremendous effort RH already solved.]  While I am grateful for
>>> everyone's time and efforts, it is hard to understand why there isn't
>>> more technology transfer within RH to the CentOS folks if they're one
>>> big happy family.  And disappointing there is no communication on this
>>> issue here.
>>>
>>> With vulnerable internet-interacting apps like Thunderbird and Firefox
>>> (possibly others), IMHO CentOS 7 is unsafe for general use.  Effectively
>>> EOL.  I'm sad, but no time for self pity when there's work to replace
>>> the OS on our systems...
>>>
>>> Thank you, CentOS team.  Incredible success for many years - I've
>>> enjoyed the ride with you.
>>>

>> These (firefox and thunderbird) are now released.
>
> Hi Johnny and all,
>
> Thank you very much for your hard work on this, it's much appreciated!
>
> Regards,
> Simon

NOTE:  We can not get Firefox/Thunderbird to build on ppc/ppc64 or
armhfp right now, it is likely that either it will no longer be
supported on these or certainly not until later on.  Several of the
'toolsets' that I need are not building cleanly on those arches.

The aarch64 are ppc64le builds are building ok, but still being tested
before release.

I was also trying to do all 7 architectures for both of these.  Moving
forward,it seems that the only ones we can reliably build are x86_64,
i686, aarch64 and ppc64le for CentOS Linux 7.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes