[CentOS-devel] [EXT] Re: Discussion: Open technical questions concerning SIG content for RHEL releases

Fri Dec 16 08:13:28 UTC 2022
Peter Georg <peter.georg at physik.uni-regensburg.de>

inline reply

On 16/12/2022 08.56, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> inline reply
>
> On 15/12/2022 00:04, Peter Georg wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
> <snip>
>>

>> This currently is all fine. However it is planned that the
>> infrastructure currently used for packages built for 8 or 8s will
>> disappear once CentOS Stream 8 and CentOS Linux 7 are EOL (June 30th,
>> 2024). So in case any SIG decides to produce content for RHEL 8 after
>> that date packages can not be distributed properly anymore.
>>

> That's the solution we'd need to discuss.
> Indeed mirror.centos.org and mirrorlist.centos.org can/will both
> disappear when CentOS Linux 7 itself will be EOL (around June 2024)
> At least mirrorlist.centos.org as current code works for 7 and 8s but
> starting from Stream 9 (and beyond) it's all hosted on Fedora
> MirrorManager.
> So mirrorlist.centos.org itself will be deprecated/removed completely
> (itself running on centos linux 7 nodes, so reason why it will be
> decommissioned at the same time)
>
> For mirror.centos.org, don't know why we should continue to use it as
> all produced content around centos stream will then be pushed to the
> existing mirror.stream.centos.org infra.

Agree.

> So I guess your question is : where should the RHEL 8 SIG packages land
> if mirror.centos.org and mirrorlist.centos.org will be disappearing ?

Yes.

> I'd be tempted to propose something (open for comments) : starting from
> June 2024, they'd be pushed to https://mirror.stream.centos.org/SIGs/ ?
> (and so '8' directory as there is already a '9' one for content built
> against/for RHEL9 )
> That would mean that normally mirrormanager would also start crawling
> about these and so switching from mirrorlist= to metalink= would
> normally work.

Sounds good to me. It is (almost) the same solution I proposed in the
initial post anyway (except for the opt-in requirement):
>> This gives SIGs one month for all required changes before the currently infrastructure disappears.

> It would just need a modification in the sign+push process to point to
> new location (and eventually see if pushing to debuginfo/vault still
> makes sense or "consolidate" all content the same way it's done for 9/9s
> already)

Sounds good. Concerning consolidation of debuginfo/vault: +1 for
consolidation the same way it's done for 9/9s.

> <snip>
>

>> The second open question concerns the centos-release-* packages
>> provided by SIGs to allow users to easily consume SIGs' content. For
>> 8s and 9s the CBS tags
>> extras<el>-extras-common-{candidate,testing,release} are used to build
>> these packages. This repository is added in CentOS Stream 8 and 9.
>> For packages build for RHEL 8 and 9 there is currently no common way
>> to provide any means of easing the process to consume SIGs' content.
>> My proposal to fix this is by adding
>> extras<el>-extras-common-{candidate,testing,release} for <el> = 8 and
>> 9, i.e., using the same system as currently used for 8s and 9s.
>>
> <snip>
>
> That's more or less the ticket you opened
> https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/643 but I'll let Brian answer that one

Correct. It is somehow related. So added it here to be discussed on
centos-devel.