[CentOS-devel] Decommissioning of CentOS Stream 8 source-git branches

Mon Feb 21 09:05:59 UTC 2022
Tomas Tomecek <ttomecek at redhat.com>

Hello, we would like to announce our plan to decommission and remove the
c8s branches of the CentOS Stream source-git repositories. This also means
the removal of any repository from the gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/src
namespace which is left without a branch. Stream 9 content will not be
affected.

As you might remember, these are the source-git repositories produced by
unpacking the c8s branches from CentOS Stream 8 dist-git, and making the
resulting content available at gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/src.

We took a look at the utilization of this content during 2021, based on the
GitLab data and found out that no one from the community has used these
repositories to contribute to CentOS Stream 8. The only exception is the
kernel repository [1], we will keep that one up.

Please let us know if you find these repositories useful or are part of
your routine.

Our focus for the future is to deliver a consistent source-git workflow for
Fedora and CentOS Stream under the umbrella of Fedora source-git SIG [2].

[1] https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/src/kernel/centos-stream-8
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Source-git

Tomas