[CentOS-devel] CentOS SIGs and lookaside cache

Mon Feb 21 16:16:12 UTC 2022
Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr>

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 10:58:58AM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 10:51 AM Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr> wrote:
> The git server and git structure is orthogonal to the lookaside
> problem. Fundamentally, the issue was that the same upload endpoint is
> used for both Red Hat compliance and SIG work. We already have
> authentication/authorization on branches at the Pagure level, so we
> just lacked a way to handle this for the lookaside upload. By
> splitting the endpoint, it should be possible to solve that since you
> can deny access to the Red Hat endpoint to everyone.
>
> However, I'd make a small suggestion: instead of changing the endpoint
> URL for SIGs, change the endpoint URL for Red Hat. RCM uses that
> endpoint through automation (I assume), so changing the endpoint for
> the one service is considerably simpler than dealing with everyone's
> own scripts to adjust for SIGs.

That is an interesting point, I'll ask around to know how feasible it would be.

> As an example, I've written automation to deal with Hyperscale work
> because doing it by hand is a lot of grunt work. While I can probably
> tweak my stuff easily enough, I don't know if *everyone* can.

Your automation doesn't use the `lookaside_upload` script from
centos-git-commoin then?

> And again, the lookaside thing is completely orthogonal to the git
> structure. I should be able to use it just fine from git.centos.org in
> the current branched package structure.

I agree, though dropping the branch structure that git.centos.org imposes
exacerbates this.
I don't know that we want to change the current structure used for all SIGs (vs
making it opt-in), but it is an interesting thought.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Pierre