[CentOS-devel] Feedback on office hours

Tue Feb 15 17:50:57 UTC 2022
Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com>

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022, 11:24 AM Shaun McCance <shaunm at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have three sets of office hours that I'd like to gather feedback on.
>
> 1) CentOS Stream office hours are monthly on the second Wednesday, the
> same day as board meetings, at 17:00 UTC. This is a video meeting on
> meet.opensuse.org. It always has a few attendees. Sometimes productive
> stuff happens. Sometimes it's just a social hour, and that's ok. We
> should keep this one. I wouldn't mind a time shift or a shift in which
> week, because I happen to have another monthly meeting that conflicts.
>
> 2) CentOS office hours are monthly on the very next day on Thursday, at
> 10:00 UTC. This happens on IRC. Nobody attends, but we don't promote it
> at all. The time slot is awful for the US. It's a great time slot to
> bridge Europe and Asia. If we want to keep a time slot for Europe and
> Asia, we need to find attendees from those time zones, because I'm not
> awfully fond of waking up at 5am to look at a blank screen.
>
> 3) CentOS board office hours happen the week after the board meeting,
> so third week, Wednesday at 15:00 UTC. This is a video meeting on a
> Google Meet room I set up each month. The time slot is kind of early
> for US Pacific (7am). The purpose of this one is to ask the board
> questions about board stuff, so it's kind of important we have some
> board folks there.
>
> I'm open to rescheduling, canceling, consolidating, changing venues, or
> any level of bike shedding. Office hours can have value. They can also
> be a waste of time. Let's make sure we have something that adds value
> for our community.

I'm worried that they are making participation in the project harder.

There's definitely value in high bandwidth conversation to work out
something difficult or find a common understanding.  However, the audience
will always be very limited even if the call is open.  I've distinctly
noticed a lack of recap of these calls to a broader forum like the mailing
list.  That diminishes the value to the project as a whole.

If we're going to keep them, I really think someone needs to take the
responsibility to summarize anything relevant to the broader CentOS
community.  Otherwise, we should move to one-off meetings as needed with
the same requirement.

josh