[CentOS-devel] Few questions on cloud images

Wed Jan 26 21:31:42 UTC 2022
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 1/25/22 11:17, Pino Toscano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have few questions related to the cloud images provides for c8s and
> c9s, i.e.:
> - https://cloud.centos.org/centos/8-stream/x86_64/images/
> - https://cloud.centos.org/centos/9-stream/x86_64/images/
>
> 1) I see the c9s images are regularly updated, while the c8s images not;
> is this wanted, or simply a mistake/miss somewhere? If so, will they be
> kept up-to-date just like the c9s images?
>
> 2) are the Vagrant images there officially supported? Let's say you use
> one, and find a bug; then check on a "classic" installation
> (baremetal/VM), and the bug isn't there; can users report problems in
> those cases?
>
> 3) would it be possible to have either unversioned or "-latest" symlinks
> for the latest versions of all the files (i.e. images, checksums, etc)?
> This way, it will be much easier for users to fetch the latest versions
> with no need to change URLs frequently. Of course, the assumption is
> that users of this are always willing to use the latest version.

I have updated the 8-stream images and I will be updating them at least
Monthly in the future (initially).

I do not yet have a 'latest' symlink as we are going to need to figure
out something for the CHECKSUM information.

In the short term I can do a -latest link that does not have CHECKSUM
info .. if you wanted to use CHECKSUM, you would need to know the real
name of the image to check it .. if everyone thinks this is required.

NOTE:  the above is just for 8-stream.  The process for 9-stream is
still being developed and eventually what is finalized for 9-stream will
be moved to 8-stream as we standardize all processes moving forward.

But for now, there is at least a process in place to get newer 8-stream
images published.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes