[CentOS-devel] Dist-git's git structure in CBS

Fri Jan 28 16:51:07 UTC 2022
Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr>

Good Morning Everyone,

Nowadays we have different structures in the git repositories of the dist-git
instance for CBS and for CentOS-Stream.

CBS' dist-git (used by the SIG and for CentOS Linux 7, CentOS-Stream 8), uses
something like:
├── .gitignore
├── .kernel.metadata
├── SOURCES
│   ├─ ....
│   ├── patch-5.14.0-redhat.patch
│   ├─ ...
│   └── x509.genkey.rhel
└── SPECS
    └── kernel.spec

Ie: patches and other sources in a SOURCES folder, spec in a SPECS folder and
the link between the git repo and the lookaside cache is done via the
`.<packagename>.metadata` file.

source: https://git.centos.org/rpms/kernel/tree/c8s

On CentOS-Stream 9, the structure is similar to Fedora's structure where
everything is in the top directory.
source: https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/rpms/kernel

I was wondering if there has been some thoughts given on harmonizing these
structures? I am particularly interested on changing them for SIG building on
the top of CS9. It would make pulling changes from gitlab onto the SIG's repo a
lot easier I believe.
I suspect there may be some work to do for this and if I'm pointed to the right
direction, I wouldn't mind having a look at it but first I'd like to know if
it's a good idea :)

So... what do you think?

Thanks,
Pierre