[CentOS-devel] CentOS Linux 8 and SIGs content removal plan (please read)

Tue Jan 4 10:42:52 UTC 2022
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 13/12/2021 17:22, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> As you’re all aware, and per https://www.centos.org/centos-linux-eol/ ,
> CentOS Linux 8 is going EOL end of this month, and content will just
> remain available on mirror network until January 31st.
>
> After that date, CentOS Linux 8 repositories will be removed from mirror
> network, and mirrorlist will start answering “invalid release”, so no
> way to easily install any rpm component.
>
> But what about SIGs content that was built for/against CentOS Linux 8 ?
> (basically other repositories that you can see under
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/ but that aren’t coming from centos
> linux 8 distro itself ?
>
> As soon as CentOS Stream 8 was announced, we offered the possibility to
> all SIGs to opt-in and build for/against Stream 8, and so have their
> repositories automatically pushed to
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8-stream , as it was for /8/ .
>
> Most of the SIGs opted at that time to build in parallel for 8 and
> 8-stream, while some decided to just start building against/for 8-stream
> directly (and of course content built on 8-stream *should* just work
> fine, and reverse is also true)
>
> But some months ago, community members asked
> (https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/400) if that was possible to
> continue building against/for el8, but so switching buildroot from
> centos 8 to RHEL 8, which was worked on and is now available.
>
> What does that mean for you, SIGs ?
>
> If you want (opt-in and so optional) continue to build for el8, just
> create a ticket on https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issues to ask your
> tags to build against RHEL 8 instead of CentOS Linux 8. You can do that
> whenever you want but before (for obvious reasons) end of January 2022
>
> What if you don’t opt-in ? You SIG content will removed from mirror
> network, at the same time as CentOS Linux 8 content.
>

> So to recap :
>
>   * End of january, *all* repositories listed under
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/ will be removed (except for SIGs that
> opted-in for the ‘switch to RHEL 8 buildroot’ plan)
>   * mirrorlist.centos.org will also start answering ‘invalid repo’ for
> SIG content, as it will be for CentOS Linux 8 itself
>   * All SIGs tags for 8 will be locked down (except for SIGs that
> opted-in for the ‘switch to RHEL 8 buildroot’ plan) so no way to just
> tag-build (and so push anything) out

Just a quick reminder about SIG content also going away end of this
month, *except* for SIGs who have opted-in to start building against
RHEL8 (and so far we only got kmods/ceph/nfs-ganesha so all the rest
will disappear - see
https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issues?status=Closed&tags=cbs-rhel8-buildroot&close_status=)

Worth knowing that the CentOS Infra tags and configmanagement ones will
stay in place, as used by the centos infra (and yes, building against
rhel8 but still applying on 8-stream just works fine, as we use that for
months and 8-stream is just 8)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab