[CentOS-devel] Alternate Images - Proposed SIG

Wed Jul 6 16:47:57 UTC 2022
Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com>

Following the CentOS "Setting up a new SIG"[1] instructions I am opening a
new topic about creating a new CentOS SIG.
I have initially filled out several sections that are in other SIG pages.
These are all open for discussion.

Goals:
The Alternate Images SIG's goal will be to build and provide alternate iso
images for CentOS Stream.

What is in Scope:
- Live Images (Previously known as LiveDVD, LiveCD)
-- Examples:
--- Live Desktops (KDE / GNOME / XFCE / Mate )
--- Live Rescue
- Alternate Install Images
-- Examples:
--- Minimum install iso (doesn't need the network, but almost as small as
the boot.iso)
--- KDE install iso (has epel enabled, and packages to install a working
kde desktop)
- Repo's that are compatible with CentOS Stream, and follow the Fedora
licensing policy.

What is not in Scope:
- Containers
- Raw / QCow / AWS
- Iso images that are bigger than 4 Gig. (This number can be adjusted after
the SIG is formed)
- Repo's that are not compatible with CentOS Stream, or do not follow the
Fedora licensing policy.

Collaboration:
We plan on working with various Desktop SIG's, the Fedora minimization
team, and any other group that wants custom iso's.

Deliverables:
- Documentation along with configuration (kickstarts and scripts) that will
allow members to create their alternate images.
- Alternate images in a publically downloadable area
-- Images will be rebuilt, or retired, a minimum of every three months.

Leadership:
I (Troy Dawson) will be the initial Lead of the SIG.
After (or while) the SIG is formed we will decide if we want a co-chair
leadership and/or how often the leadership is elected.

Troy Dawson

[1] - https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup#Setting_up_a_new_SIG