[CentOS-devel] Alternate Images - Proposed SIG

Tue Jul 12 19:42:15 UTC 2022
Robby Callicotte <rcallicotte at mailbox.org>

On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 2:14:35 PM CDT Brian Stinson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2022, at 12:25, Robby Callicotte via CentOS-devel wrote:
> > On Wednesday, July 6, 2022 11:47:57 AM CDT Troy Dawson wrote:
> >> What is in Scope:
> >> - Live Images (Previously known as LiveDVD, LiveCD)
> >> -- Examples:
> >> --- Live Desktops (KDE / GNOME / XFCE / Mate )
> >> --- Live Rescue
> >> - Alternate Install Images
> >> -- Examples:
> >> --- Minimum install iso (doesn't need the network, but almost as small as
> >> the boot.iso)
> >> --- KDE install iso (has epel enabled, and packages to install a working
> >> kde desktop)
> >> - Repo's that are compatible with CentOS Stream, and follow the Fedora
> >> licensing policy.
> >
> > Would a CentOS Stream IOT iso be in scope for this SIG?  If not, how can I
> > help to get this in scope?

> Have you looked at the artifacts produced by the Automotive SIG?
> https://sigs.centos.org/automotive/
>
> Additionally, can you tell us a little more about what you're looking for
> out of an 'IoT' spin?
>
> --Brian

I was not aware of these Automotive SIG artifacts. Very cool.

The main reason for a CentOS based IOT spin is commercial security vendor
support.  My company is looking to deploy several thousand field devices that
would absolutely benefit from rpm-ostree/greenboot availability.

I initially pitched the Fedora IOT edition for this use case, but my security
team contends that the 3rd party vendorware they use for compliance scanning/
IDM etc. is not supported for Fedora.  However, these vendorware tools do
support CentOS Stream.

--
Robby Callicotte
He/His