[CentOS-devel] [EXT] kmods SIG workflow skips the -70 EL9 kernel - why?

Wed Jun 8 15:12:18 UTC 2022
Peter Georg <peter.georg at physik.uni-regensburg.de>

On 08/06/2022 04.49, Anthony Alba wrote:
> Hi - I am confused about the SIGs Stream 9 workflow: I would expect
> the -70 kernel to make it into kmods SIG as I see it in kojihub.
>
> Yet the artifacts (I look at kmod-btrfs as example) skip the -70 kernel.
> Rebuild for 5.14.0-73.el9
> Rebuild for 5.14.0-69.el9
>
> So what determines if a kernel release makes into kmods?

The workflow includes two steps that might result in the -70 kernel not
being listed here.

1. kernel modules are only rebuilt for kernel versions that made it to
mirror.stream.centos.org/9. Not all kernel versions built in koji pass
testing or are never pushed to mirror.stream.centos.org/9 for other
reasons. Note: We used to build for all kernel versions that ever made
it into the buildroot, this has been changed due to [1].
2. Before a kernel module is being rebuilt for a new kernel version it
is checked whether a rebuild is even required, i.e., any of the used
symbols has been changed. We track the kABI in [2].

In the particular case you mentioned the reason is No. 2. The kABI of
the -69 and -70 kernel is identical, i.e., there is no reason to rebuild
the kernel module. The version built for -69 also works for -70. The
rpms are designed to handle this for you (using weak-updates).

In case you are asking cause of using these kmods for rhel9:
Although -69 and -70 have identical kABI this does not imply that
-70.13.1 (rhel9 kernel) also has the same kABI. A rebuilt of kmod-btrfs
might be necessary, I have not checked.
Anyway, we plan/hope to also provide kmods for rhel9, see [3].

[1]: https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/574
[2]: https://pagure.io/centos-sig-kmods/kabi
[3]: https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/786