[CentOS-devel] [REPORT] Quarterly Report - CentOS Automotive SIG

Fri Jun 24 01:02:30 UTC 2022
Jeffrey Osier-Mixon <jefro at redhat.com>

June 2022 Quarterly report submitted by: Jefro Osier-Mixon, Red Hat -
acting chair
currently has 94 subscribers representing at least 30 organizations, though
not all subscribers use corporate emails and some are participating as
individuals.

_____________________________________
Releases in the most recent quarter (or most recent release, if none in
that quarter)

The SIG provides a new distribution: Automotive Stream Distribution
(AutoSD), a CentOS Stream derivative designed specifically around the needs
of an automotive OS, and transparently the upstream project for Red Hat's
eventual in-vehicle OS product. AutoSD has been downloaded and used by
several organizations who have commented or asked for help, so we know it
is getting some traction though of course we don't have exact metrics on
usage.

_____________________________________
Health report and general activity narrative.

The SIG has had two public meetings per month, one formal and one informal
"office hours", each with 25-40 attendees, with visible participation from
7-10 separate organizations. This SIG is intended to be a community effort
with contributions and shared benefits from all participants. All formal
meetings are recorded and posted on this page:
https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Automotive/Meetings

Several Red Hat employees made the initial contributions to the project as
well as the infrastructure required to build and test it. We now occupy a
gitlab repository building software regularly using CI, with build
instructions provided on the documentation page at
https://sigs.centos.org/automotive/ . Sample images are present and
downloadable along with customization and build instructions.

This is a high-level summary of current activity:

- All work has migrating to a CentOS namespace within GitLab in order to
cement our intention as a community project:
https://gitlab.com/centos/automotive
- CI/CD infrastructure is in place
- Firmware size has been reduced
- Encryption is available via LUKS
- a Linux chroot is being worked on for Android devices
- manifests now enable EFI runtime services
- Lookaside cache structure
- Downloadable images are available: https://autosd.sig.centos.org/
- Documentation has been greatly expanded with both community and corporate
contributions: https://sigs.centos.org/automotive/
- Documentation now includes detailed contribution guidelines:
https://sigs.centos.org/automotive/contributing/contributing-to-auto-sig-repo/
- Ongoing discussions within the meetings have centered around supported
hardware and expectations for documentation
- A new meetings page contains recordings of all meetings:
https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Automotive/Meetings
- Synchronous communications have moved from IRC to Matrix thanks to some
help from Fedora:
https://app.element.io/#/room/#centos-automotive-sig:fedoraproject.org

Issues for the board to address, if any

None, keep up the excellent work :)

Jeffrey "Jefro" Osier-Mixon  |  jefro at redhat.com
Red Hat Office of the CTO  |  Sr. Principal Community Architect, Automotive