[CentOS-devel] RHEL moving to issues.redhat.com only long term

Mon Mar 7 17:44:02 UTC 2022
Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com>

Hi Fedora, CentOS, and EPEL Communities!

As part of our continued 3 year major Red Hat Enterprise Linux release
cadence, RHEL 9 development is starting to wrap up with the spring
2022 release coming soon.  That means planning for the next release
will start in earnest in the very near future.  As some of you may
know, Red Hat has been using both Bugzilla and Jira via
issues.redhat.com for RHEL development for several years.  Our
intention is to move to using issues.redhat.com only for the major
RHEL releases after RHEL 9.

What does this mean for Fedora and CentOS?  This discussion is in part
to figure that out.  Based on some very brief analysis, the following
should hold:

- RHEL customers should continue to file support cases through the Red
Hat Customer portal, which will remain consistent regardless of the
backend tooling used.

- There is no imminent retirement of the Red Hat Bugzilla instance
being planned at this time.  RHEL 7, 8, and 9 will continue to use
bugzilla in some form and RHEL 9 has a very long lifecycle.

- Fedora Linux and EPEL have their own Bugzilla product families and
are not directly impacted in their own workflows by the choice to use
only issues.redhat.com for RHEL.
    - There will be impacts on existing documentation that provide
guidance on requesting things from RHEL in various places like EPEL.
We will be happy to help adjust these.

- CentOS Stream contribution and bug reporting workflows will be
adjusted to use issues.redhat.com instead of bugzilla in the relevant
places.  This should apply to all versions of CentOS Stream for a
unified contributor workflow.  This will happen gradually as we
discover the best workflow to use.

If there are other impacts that you can think of, please raise them on
this thread.  We’d like to ensure we’re covering as much as possible
as this rolls out.

josh