[CentOS-devel] [EPEL-devel] Re: Qt update and packages rebuild

Mon May 2 08:22:19 UTC 2022
Alex Iribarren <alex.m.lists3 at gmail.com>

Hi,

On 4/29/22 21:17, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 at 14:28, Germano Massullo
> <germano.massullo at gmail.com <mailto:germano.massullo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Recent CentOS Stream Qt update broke some EPEL packages like keepassxc
>     that needed a rebuild against the new Qt version.
>     Can we talk about a way to prevent this from happening again?
>

> This is the current situation of events for dealing with CentOS Stream
> and EPEL
> 0. Packages get put into stream at the rate of internal developers doing
> things and getting stuff put into GIT. There is no communication to know
> when this will happen so knowing what packages to build before this
> drops isn't happening.
> 1. The QT packages in Stream have taken a week to be fixed due to
> various issues found in them. [Mostly they were built in the wrong order
> and linked against each other poorly.]

So how could we stop this from happening in the future? The
50_test_comps[0] test caught some of the problems, but not all because
not all qt5 packages seem to be listed in a comps group. `dnf install
qt5-*` is unlikely to work, though I haven't tried.

How could we test that all qt5 packages have been correctly rebuilt? If
that's done right, the following steps will be a lot less painful.

Cheers,
Alex

> 2. This means rebuilding packages have to wait until that is fixed as
> some people found when they jumped on it sooner. Either they could not
> rebuild anything or when they rebuilt it they needed to do it again when
> the updated packages with the right library links came out.
> 3. Packages in EPEL are maintained by a lot of people who may not know
> that centos-stream have updated rapidly and do not have the spare
> capacity to update sooner than the weekend spare time they had allotted
> to do it.
>
> What are ways that this could be improved?
>
> --
> Stephen J Smoogen.
> Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard
> battle. -- Ian MacClaren

[0]
https://github.com/CentOS/sig-core-t_functional/blob/master/tests/0_common/50_test_comps.sh