[CentOS-devel] Gauging interest in Discourse

Tue Nov 1 13:51:38 UTC 2022
Shaun McCance <shaunm at redhat.com>

On Mon, 2022-10-31 at 15:06 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> Activity reports and such should be going out to the blog because
> that's how the media is going to pick it up. Notably, the CentOS
> Hyperscale SIG is continuously in the news because we did the
> extremely simple thing of always having our reports on the blog. SIGs
> that don't do that don't get talked about. They don't get mindshare,
> and they don't get growth and further interest.

Serious question: What is the actual difference (to readers and the
press) between a WordPress instance where we post project updates and a
section on a Discourse instance where we post the same stuff? Is it
that it's easier to watch a whole site than some section? Is it just
the visibility of having something called an official blog? Is it the
RSS feed?

I'm not totally against the blog. I am my pretty strongly against blog
comments on any platform that's not tied to our accounts system, but
that's solvable without throwing out the whole thing. It's just that
when I look at the content we produce, it makes me wonder if we really
need to maintain a whole separate channel for it.

--
Shaun