[CentOS-devel] CentOS Stream 8

Sun Oct 2 01:47:52 UTC 2022
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 5:48 PM Rich Bowen <rbowen at rcbowen.com> wrote:

> I'm now at AWS on the open source team. Shaun McCance has taken my centos role
>
> Shosholoza,
> Rich

Ooowww. I have some suggestions for your AWS team. For example, *stop*
publishing your RPMs as "python3-", and publish them as "python37-" to
avoid conflict and confusion with EPEL dependencies, that's been a
problem. Avoid RHEL's insistence on RPM "modularity" for AWS Linux 3.
EPEL has correctly discarded it entirely. Call the next release "AWS
Linux 3" rather than the planned AWS Linux 2022. And do raid my work
on porting Ansible, and Samba, to Amazon Linux over at
https://github.com/nkadel/ansiblerepo and
https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo/, work I based on my CentOPS 8
and CentOS 9 work.

>> On Thu, 2022-09-29 at 15:16 -0400, John Aron wrote:
>> > Rich,
>> >
>> > I am happy that I have your card and info to email you. The new kernel
>> > on CentOS Stream 8 is significantly unstable. I have a Dell
>> > R710 with the PERC H700 raid controller.

John, I don't expect CentOS Stream kernels to be stable until and
unless RHEL abandons the CentOS Stream model. I'd be glad to be wrong.
In the meantime, you're quite welcome to my old tools for generating
an internal mirror, one which can be set up as snapshot repositories
for internal use, over at
https://github.com/nkadel/nkadel-rsync-scripts.

Nico Kadel-Garcia