[CentOS-devel] Try out the new RHEL module streams with the CentOS Stream 8 and 9

Wed Oct 5 07:43:31 UTC 2022
Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com>

(I've sent this before, but it seems to have never reached the mailing
list, so re-sending again; although less interesting today, when RHEL 8.7
and 9.1 Beta are already out, yet I believe the thoughts about Stream
concept are worth looking at).

As you likely know, CentOS Stream is a new concept that allows the
community to see what future RHEL brings. Let me touch on a few specific
things that you can test in CentOS Stream 8 and 9 for some time already,
and couldn't see in a released RHEL until recently.

Module streams concept is used in CentOS Stream 8 and 9 (and thus also in
the future RHEL-8.x and RHEL-9.x versions) for delivering alternative
versions of popular stacks for developers (except other components). You
can for example try the latest Node.js version 18, Ruby 3.1, or Maven 3.8.
How? Let's see an example with a CentOS Stream 9 container image:

First, pull the CentOS Stream 9 image using podman and run it:
#> podman pull centos:stream9
#> podman run -ti --rm centos:stream9

Then, use dnf to list available modules
[root at ad0a3f9d2aa3 /]# dnf module list

Here you see a couple of modular streams that are not enabled by default
but are available in the repository in parallel to the default version
(which is 3.0 in the case of Ruby and CentOS Stream 9).

Now, the most important part, enable the latest available version of Ruby
and install some packages:
[root at ad0a3f9d2aa3 /]# dnf -y module enable ruby:3.1
[root at ad0a3f9d2aa3 /]# dnf -y install ruby

And finally, check what version we actually have:
[root at ad0a3f9d2aa3 /]# ruby --version
ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision 4491bb740a) [x86_64-linux]

And you can follow a similar pattern for other module streams, that are on
their way to the next RHEL minor release. This way, CentOS Stream and RHEL
users can test the new content earlier than before and provide feedback in
the BZ [2].

[1] https://www.centos.org/centos-stream/
[2]
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Red%20Hat%20Enterprise%20Linux%209