[CentOS-devel] libknet1- in more than one repo

Fri Sep 9 13:24:18 UTC 2022
Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen at redhat.com>

On Fri, 9 Sept 2022 at 09:14, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 8:40 AM Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, 9 Sept 2022 at 08:09, lejeczek via CentOS-devel <
> centos-devel at centos.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi guys.
> >>
> >> that most certainly should not be, right?
> >>
> >> -> $ dnf list libknet1
> >> Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:37 ago on Fri 09 Sep 2022 10:44:07
> BST.
> >> Installed Packages
> >> libknet1.x86_64                                 1.24-2.el8
>                    @ha
> >> Available Packages
> >> libknet1.i686                                   1.24-2.el8
>                    ha
> >> libknet1.i686                                   1.24-2.el8
>                    powertools
> >>
> >> but in case it should then the problem is:
> >>
> >> -> $ dnf update
> >> Error:
> >>  Problem 1: package libknet1-compress-bzip2-plugin-1.24-3.el8.x86_64
> requires libknet1(x86-64) = 1.22-1.el8, but none of the providers can be
> installed
> >

> > THe problem isn't that it is in two repos (that is ok since a user may
> have one or the other or both and the versions are the same)
> >
> > The problem is that the plugin somehow requires a version which only
> existed when it was built versus its 'sister' package. I would expect a
> spec problem.
>
> I don't see how that can happen.  It's all built from a single SRPM
> (kronosnet).  If you look at the Requires: in koji, you'll see it
> needs libknet1(x86-64) = 1.24-2.el8
>
> https://koji.mbox.centos.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=465643
>
> ... very confusing.

The problem is not with CentOS Stream but with EPEL. The package with the
problem is that the libknet1 built to have all the extra modules was built
against the RHEL package and not the CentOS Stream ones. So it is not going
to work. This package needs to be removed from epel/8 and instead be in
epel/next/8

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.