[CentOS-devel] EPEL 8 Modules get the axe on Halloween 2022

Wed Sep 28 22:10:19 UTC 2022
Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com>

When EPEL-8 was launched, it came with some support for modules with the
hope that a module ecosystem could be built from Fedora packages using RHEL
modules as an underlying tool. This has never happened and we have ended up
with a muddle of modular packages which will 'build' but may not install or
even run on an EL-8 system. Attempts to fix this and work within how EPEL
is normally built have been tried for several years by different people but
have not worked.

At this point we are saying that this experiment with modules in EPEL has
not worked and we will focus our resources on what does work.

Schedule of EPEL 8 Module Retirement:
Next Week:
- epel-release will be updated.
-- epel-modular will set enabled = 0
-- epel-modular full name will have "Deprecated" in it

October 31 2022:
- The EPEL 8 modules will be archived and removed.
-- The mirror manager will be pointed to the archive.
- Packagers will no longer be able to build EPEL 8 modules.

After October 31st (Actual date to be determined):
- epel-release will be updated again.
-- epel-modular repo configs will be removed.

Questions and Answers:

Question: Will I still be able to access the modules after October 31st?
Answer: It is not recommended, because the modules will not get any
security or bug fixes, but yes.  They will be in the Fedora archives,
and the mirror managers will point at them.

Question: What will you be dressed as on Halloween?
Answer (Troy): A Penguin

EPEL Steering Committee

[1] - https://pagure.io/epel/issue/198