[CentOS-devel] CS9: current firefox not in compose

Fri Sep 23 13:00:48 UTC 2022
Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>

Am 13.09.22 um 16:27 schrieb Troy Dawson:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 4:10 PM Leon Fauster via CentOS-devel
> <centos-devel at centos.org <mailto:centos-devel at centos.org>> wrote:
>
>     Am 13.09.22 um 00:02 schrieb Troy Dawson:
>      >
>      >
>      > On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 10:22 AM Leon Fauster via CentOS-devel
>      > <centos-devel at centos.org <mailto:centos-devel at centos.org>
>     <mailto:centos-devel at centos.org <mailto:centos-devel at centos.org>>>
>     wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      >     I had the understanding that those gates are responsible to sync
>      >     between
>      >     RHEL/CENTOS build pipelines? Especially for the major version
>     9 this
>      >     should be the state or do I misunderstand the workflow?
>      >
>      >     --
>      >     Leon
>      >
>      >
>      > Since I don't exactly know what you are picturing as a workflow,
>     I'll
>      > step through an average package update on RHEL9.
>      >
>      > 1 - maintainer (or others) create a merge request into CentOS
>     Stream 9
>      > gitlab area.
>      > 2 - the merge request is gated and tested before being merged.
>      > 3 - When that merge request gets merged in the Stream 9 gitlab
>     area, it
>      > is also synced over to the internal Brew dist-git area.
>      > 4 - The maintainer starts the build in CentOS Stream 9.
>      > 5 - When that happens, a build starts on the internal Brew systems.
>      > 6 - When both builds finish, they are both gated.  The testing only
>      > happens internally on the Brew build.
>      > 7 - When the internal testing passes successfully, then both RHEL
>     and CS
>      > builds are moved on.
>      > 8 - Internally, an errata is made, or an errata is updated with
>     the new
>      > build, and both packages move to -pending.
>      > 9 - Composes are created out of the -pending packages.
>      >
>      > Early on there was talk about putting gating between CS and RHEL,
>     but
>      > that would make the build repo's different, and eventually the
>     CentOS
>      > Stream and RHEL builds would diverge.
>      >
>      > I've simplified the steps some, and it's possible I didn't explain
>      > everything correctly.  So if you need me (or others) to explain or
>      > expand on some of the steps, let me know.
>

>     Thanks for depicting the steps. Very much appreciated! I think
>     point 7 is what I meant with synchronization (both ... moved on).
>     The missed thing in my big picture is a explanation why version
>     91.13.0 is not (at least) in the stream composes. In particular
> [...]

In the meantime I see that that the RHEL Firefox team is putting all
effort into the next ESR release (firefox-102.3.0).
We all known that CentOS do not provide guarantees for releasesing in
timely manner, but it is very unfortunate to not release the builded and
gated packages at all. That is a new quality. I'm sure the community
would appreciate at least a late version ...
Is it possible that the community helps in the testing phase (assuming
that was the place of the issue)?

--
Leon