[CentOS-devel] Platform Tools moving bugs from bugzilla.redhat.com to issues.redhat.com

Wed Aug 23 14:16:36 UTC 2023
Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com>

On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 9:54 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 9:42 AM Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > It is onerous for people who use CentOS Stream and file bug reports
> > > waiting for responses given the current lag times. BZes already don't
> > > get responses for weeks or months in some cases. Even as an active
> > > participant (if you'd like to count me as one), most of *my* BZes get
> > > nothing for months. I have no reason to regularly check Jira for my
> > > issues because there's nothing going on anyway.
> > >
> > > It's not "somewhat annoying", it's actually really bad. If you really
> > > need to worry about seat counts, then adjust the inactivity period to
> > > align with how long it takes for someone to respond to a ticket.
> > > Probably one to two years is more appropriate.
> > >
> > > I do not think it is reasonable to disable volunteer user/contributor
> > > accounts like this, especially since it disables your watch lists in
> > > Jira.
> >
> > OK.  I will state this more clearly.
> >
> > You asked to change this.  I inquired if it could be changed
> > internally.  The answer is no, it cannot.
> >
> > I'm not trying to justify or argue the merits of the existing
> > mechanism.  I am trying to set clear expectations so people are aware
> > of the way it works and can plan accordingly.
> >

> I am not refuting your base premise that you cannot deactivate
> accounts after a period of time. I am, however, telling you *why* this
> is onerous as you seem to believe it is not. If you intend to use

My personal tolerance for inconvenience has no bearing on the ability
to enact a change.

> metrics for determining participation, then you're going to have
> problems because of the issues I stated. I even offered a suggestion
> of a more reasonable timeline for deactivation based on the current
> lag times.
>
> Unless something changes on your side, this is going to be a downgrade
> overall from an engagement and usability perspective for contributors.

Noted.  I'm not sure what else you'd like me to do at this point, so
we should probably stop furthering this subthread.

josh