[CentOS-devel] CentOS Stream 8 is transitioning to be ahead of RHEL 8 - Compose push to mirror operations affected

Sun Feb 19 22:52:04 UTC 2023
Brian Stinson <bstinson at redhat.com>

Hi Folks,

As many of you know, CentOS Stream 8 is currently produced using an "inside
out" workflow, meaning RHEL builds happen first and then are reflected in
CentOS Stream afterward. This is not the case with CentOS Stream 9 where
builds are performed directly by maintainers at Red Hat from merge requests
in gitlab.com.

The CentOS Stream team is busy working on a project to migrate CentOS
Stream 8 to the gitlab.com/Stream-first workflow. This is an exciting step
to reflect CentOS Stream's true purpose in both currently active releases.

One effect of this transition, though, is that we need to migrate from the
old mbox buildsystem to the new Stream koji (
https://kojihub.stream.centos.org). To do this the team needs to pause
regular compose and push-to-mirror jobs to avoid a split-brain situation
with 2 separate systems. You may notice a lack of updates to the repos on
the mirrors for a few more weeks while this transition is completed. The
team's first priority is making sure that Red Hat maintainers take control
over the c8s branches in https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/rpms (and
builds in koji) and then the team will return to working on regular
composes and push-to-mirror operations.

If you have any questions in the interim, please reach out to me.

Cheers!

--
Brian Stinson