[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of wiki.centos.org

Tue Feb 28 09:33:43 UTC 2023
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 28/02/2023 10:21, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 12:05 AM Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org
> <mailto:arrfab at centos.org>> wrote:
>
>     Let's start discussing the future of wiki.centos.org
>     <http://wiki.centos.org> !
>
>     There was a CentOS Docs SIG day happening on monday after Fosdem and
>     during that day, we started to discuss the future of wiki.centos.org
>     <http://wiki.centos.org>.
>
>     As a reminder : https://wiki.centos.org <https://wiki.centos.org> is
>     actually powered by moin
>     (http://moinmo.in/ <http://moinmo.in/>), which is :
>        - python 2.x based
>        - unmaintained
>
>     It's also running on CentOS Linux 7 (for these requirements), itself
>     going EOL next year. Also worth adding that it's under constant spammer
>     load, with plenty of bots trying to write content, be denied, and
>     trying
>     in a different way, so it's really a "whack a mole" game.
>
>     For all these reasons, it has to be replaced by something else,
>     (still a
>     wiki) or even better, be decommissioned entirely and eventually
>     moved to
>     a git workflow.
>
>     FWIW, it's what is used for all websites from various SIGs under
>     https://sigs.centos.org <https://sigs.centos.org> (including the SIG
>     guide itself,
>     https://sigs.centos.org/guide <https://sigs.centos.org/guide>)
>
>     As a follow-up on the CentOS SIG day, an investigation (see
>     https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/1061
>     <https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/1061>) was started as a PoC to
>     just
>     extract wiki content in a readable (static) format, so that we can
>     still
>     host a "read-only" version (archived) of wiki content, while a new
>     service (wiki or else) would replace it.
>
>     All comments/remarks are welcome, and let's have a plan about what
>     to do
>     (the sooner, the better)
>
>     Kind Regards,
>     --
>     Fabian Arrotin
>     The CentOS Project | https://www.centos.org <https://www.centos.org>
>     gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | @arrfab[@fosstodon.org <http://fosstodon.org>]
>

> Just wanted to add that there was a talk on this subject earlier:
>
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2022-August/thread.html#120541 <https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2022-August/thread.html#120541>
> "What to do with wiki.centos.org <http://wiki.centos.org> ? (let's
> discuss it)"
>
> Akemi

True, but reason why I started another one is for one reason : starting
a thread is easy but there is usually no action plan/follow-up (as you
can see from  previous thread), reason why I'm asking again the
centos-docs SIG to take action, and expose a plan :)

So it's a matter of prioritizing the work to be done, taking a decision
about "where to go next", and then decommission wiki (the last step will
happen for sure, no matter what will be done or not before)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | @arrfab[@fosstodon.org]