[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of forums.centos.org

Mon Feb 27 15:00:41 UTC 2023
Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen at redhat.com>

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 at 03:19, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:

> Let's chat about forums.centos.org !
>
> IMHO, that service can be easily moved to a newer OS/PHP stack and so
> continue to run. But on the other hand, I heard rumors that some forums
> moderators would like to stop maintaining/moderating it after 2024.
>
> I also heard that there is now a centos category on fedora discourse
> (https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/c/centos/71)
>
> So while we (centos infra) can easily migrate that server, should we ?

I think the moderators have been pretty clear in different venues that they
are done with this when CentOS 7 end of lifes. Moving the forum to
read-only and scraping/archiving the public discussions at that point is
probably best. At that point put a placeholder to the scraped site and a
link to future discussions to the  discussion.fedoraproject.org system. I
think the types of discussions for CentOS Stream 9++ will mesh better with
Fedora as they are both more 'update weekly to see what is coming' focused
than the 'long term sit and update when I have to' production that older
CentOS releases were known for.