[CentOS-devel] Proposal: CentOS x86 SIG

Tue Feb 28 06:40:11 UTC 2023
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 28/02/2023 01:04, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Mon, 2023-02-27 at 18:23 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> # Goals
>>
>> The purpose of this SIG is to quantify the potential benefits of
>> applying existing compiler technology to distribution packages,
>> targeting more recent CPUs, and evaluating different options for how
>> these optimizations can be maintained in a scalable way, and
>> delivered
>> to end users.
>
> Would this work fit under the charter of the existing (and largely
> dormant) Alternative Architectures SIG?

<snip>
The "AltArch SIG" was just created initially to bootstrap other
architectures for CentOS 7, in comparison with i{3,6}86, x86_64 that we
were only building/providing in the past.
Once it was bootstrapped, it was back to Core SIG rebuilding in parallel
packages for all these architectures but the altarch sig per se doesn't
exist anymore ? (imho)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | @arrfab[@fosstodon.org]