[CentOS-devel] Enable FIDO2 Support in systemd

Fri Jan 20 20:00:13 UTC 2023
Ersei Saggi <me at ersei.net>

Hi CentOS team,

By the RPM spec files, (https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/rpms/systemd/-/blob/c9s/systemd.spec#L599), FIDO2 support is disabled in systemd. FIDO2 support is very useful for automatic decryption of LUKS partitions with systemd-cryptsetup. This would allow for external security keys (such as a Yubikey) to decrypt drives with no user interaction. Currently, the current systemd configuration supports only TPM and GPG. In older devices that don't support TPM, the only option for no-interaction FDE decryption is to use GPG (which still requires a key access password to be remotely secure).

As far as I can tell, there is no barrier to enable FIDO2 support. Please let me know if I am mistaken.

Thanks,
Ersei