[CentOS-devel] [EXT] Re: Furthering the evolution of CentOS Stream

Fri Jun 23 15:44:26 UTC 2023
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 23/06/2023 16:34, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 9:44 AM Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:

>>> Your understanding is correct.
>>>

>> What I don't understand is this: as a Red Hat customer with paid
>> subscription, I'm still able to download
>> kernel-5.14.0-284.18.1.el9_2.src.rpm, right?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If I do so and extract the kernel-5.14.0-284.18.1.el9_2.src.rpm archive,
>> can I put the resulting files on a public server and let others download
>> the files?
>
> The kernel is licensed under the GPL, which grants redistribution
> rights to all such licensed source code.
>
> josh

Then maybe the CentOS Project should start a SiG to pull the RHEL
sources and populate a repository for everyone to freely access, thus
filling the void left by RH's decision to withdraw this?

Or maybe ALMA or Rocky will do it as they will also no doubt be doing
something similar in house anyway.

Either way, it sounds like a lot of people need access to these sources
in such a way that can be easily integrated into CI/build systems and RH
is no longer providing this facility.

Perhaps it would be useful to know the intention behind Red Hat's
decision? If this is an unintended consequence of the decision, maybe RH
can do something to fix it and provide the sources elsewhere for easily
scriptable public consumption. However, if the intention is to
deliberately make things harder for the (rebuild) community, then the
community will likely need to put in place mitigations themselves.

Phil