[CentOS-devel] [EXT] Re: Furthering the evolution of CentOS Stream

Fri Jun 23 17:20:31 UTC 2023
Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com>

On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 1:09 PM Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:

> Hi Josh,

> >> light

> >> future

> >> them.

> >> artifacts

> >> src.rpm).

> >> not

> >> What I don't understand is this: as a Red Hat customer with paid
> >> subscription, I'm still able to download
> >> kernel-5.14.0-284.18.1.el9_2.src.rpm, right?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> >> If I do so and extract the kernel-5.14.0-284.18.1.el9_2.src.rpm archive,
> >> can I put the resulting files on a public server and let others download
> >> the files?
> >
> > The kernel is licensed under the GPL, which grants redistribution
> > rights to all such licensed source code.
> >
> > josh
>
> Thanks for your answer. I'm still wondering about two things:
>
> 1) This comment
> https://www.theregister.com/2023/06/23/red_hat_centos_move/ says:
>
> > The key point being is that to obtain those binaries, customers -
> > as well as developers on free accounts – must agree to a license
> > agreement and are under the terms of a contract, which overrides
> > the GPL license of the code itself.
>
> Is this true? Can anyone set up new rules and just "override" the GPL
> license?

I would strongly encourage you, as a Red Hat customer, to reach out to
Red Hat via the Customer Portal or other contact methods to discuss
the Enterprise agreement.  Seeking advice on this mailing list or the
internet in general about the agreement is probably not in anyone's
best interest.

> 2) RHEL contains more than "the GPL", fact is it contains source code
> licensed under a large amount of different licenses. Is it really possible
> to cover and override all of them so easily?

It is quite true that RHEL contains source code under a variety of
open source licenses, some of which do not require any typical
copyleft provisions at all.  That said, Red Hat publishes sources to
the Customer Portal for all open source packages even if not required,
and the source code is available in CentOS Stream as well.

> I'd really like to understand what the new announcement of Red Hat means
> exactly.

I find the blog post very clear about the change.  Red Hat is no
longer going to publish sources to git.centos.org and instead refers
people to CentOS Stream.

The discussions around terms and conditions of the enterprise
agreement are not affected at all by the change described in the blog
post.  The agreement did not change and any questions on what it
entails are the same now as they were last week.

josh