[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of bugs.centos.org

Wed Mar 29 07:17:50 UTC 2023
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 27/02/2023 15:55, Stephen Smoogen wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 at 03:12, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org
> <mailto:arrfab at centos.org>> wrote:
>
>     Let's discuss https://bugs.centos.org <https://bugs.centos.org> !
>
>     For a long time, we used to only have one public tracker , powered by
>     MantisBT (https://mantisbt.org/ <https://mantisbt.org/>) , and it
>     was https://bugs.centos.org <https://bugs.centos.org>
>
>     Due to various changes in the CentOS ecosystem in the last years, some
>     categories were removed/migrated elsewhere :
>
>     - CentOS infra tracker : https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issues
>     <https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issues>
>     - CentOS Stream : https://bugzilla.redhat.com
>     <https://bugzilla.redhat.com>
>
>     Some other SIGs also started to have (and document) their own tracker
>     (see https://wiki.centos.org/ReportBugs
>     <https://wiki.centos.org/ReportBugs>)
>
>     So the question is : while we can easily migrate bugs.centos.org
>     <http://bugs.centos.org> to el9,
>     should we ?
>
>     All comments/remarks are welcome, and let's have a plan about what to do
>

> I think it would be best to sunset this by locking and keeping the
> system as read-only after the 2024 end of CentOS Stream 8 and CentOS 7.
> At that point it can be scraped and put on archive.org
> <http://archive.org> or something similar and 'removed' with a 'thank
> you for your hard work'.

Not a lot of momentum/traction on this thread, so that summarizes it all
I guess :)
It's true that https://bugs.centos.org isn't even used at all by centos
stream team , nor infra team so I just intend to decommission it
entirely ASAP, and I'll just send mail when I'll do that (as hypervisor
on which that VM is running needs also be reinstalled). I don't see a
benefit in moving that VM/service is nobody is using it and keeping it
running on c7 until 2024 when we'll just shut it down anyway.

So, famous last words : "speak now or stay quiet forever" :)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | @arrfab[@fosstodon.org]