[CentOS-devel] Adding bootc images - part of Cloud SIG orseparate?

Thu Mar 9 00:37:15 UTC 2023
Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org>

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023, at 11:39 AM, Troy Dawson wrote:

> I'm wondering if the Alternative Images SIG[1] is the SIG you need.
> We were thinking of doing containers, but it was farther down on the
> list of things to get working.
> The containers we were thinking of were "desktop" containers.  Where
> the application would be something graphical, or even possibly a whole
> desktop.
> But I could see being able to create bootc containers with the same
> infrastructure, once it get's setup.

At the current time, the container images being built here are using `rpm-ostree compose image` which is mainly oriented for bootable containers.  Though nothing stops one from using it for non-bootable containers such as these too

> One thing our SIG does not do is create/build packages.  I'm not seeing
> you say you need new/rebuilt packages.  Do you need new/altered
> packages?

The https://github.com/containers/bootc is project is a net-new package right now.  I'd like to manage it in a similar fashion to podman.  Today, there is a https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/rhcontainerbot/bootc/ COPR but which is under the same "rhcontainerbot" namespace as is used by podman developers.

podman is shipped in RHEL though, whereas bootc is not (yet).

I think though the SIG would probably do builds in the same way as other SIGs like hyperscale for the RPMs.

> Or does everything get done via the setup scripts and
> configs?

The less bash scripts the better...almost all of the net-new code is Rust here.