[CentOS-devel] Proposal: CentOS x86 SIG

Wed Mar 15 17:37:46 UTC 2023
Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com>

* Josh Boyer:

> We discussed this at the CentOS Board meeting last week and generally
> agreed with the overall idea of the SIG.  There were two main
> questions that came up:
>
> 1) What is the contribution model the SIG is envisioning?  How will
> people be able to participate in the SIG?
>
> Could you add this to the proposal?

I don't have a live document for the proposal right now.

The general CentOS collaboration mechanism is a bit unclear to me, to be
honest.  It doesn't seem to be like Fedora, where anyone can create an
account and try to get a package into the distribution.  Not that this
is something I expect as part of this effort; the focus should be on
building existing stuff in new and exciting ways.

Anyway, here are some concrete items for collaboration:

I hope that performance experts will be able to share benchmarking
results based on the optimized builds the SIG produces, and investigate
glitches we encounter.  Any kind of testing will help.

Some packages will fail to build with -march=x86-64-v3.  Triaging these
failures, reporting them upstream etc., will be required, and that part
does not require any special privileges (as long as the build logs and
buildroots are public, which I expect them to be).

We would benefit from expert guidance on GCC parameter defaults, like
preferred vector sizes for certain operations.

Once we explore delivery mechanisms, exploring how builds can be
consumed by end users in custom CI systems etc., and feedback on that
will be helpful.

Do you think this provides some clarification?

> 2) There are existing Intel people working in the Hyperscaler SIG on
> some optimized libraries.  How would the Hyperscaler SIG coordinate
> with the X86 SIG in this regard?  There is a desire to share work and
> not duplicate effort.

Is it more than just zlib?

  <https://cbs.centos.org/koji/packages?tagID=2620>

zlib upstream doesn't take architecture optimization patches, and
maintaining the downstream patches (some of them are in CentOS proper
already) is an ongoing hassle.

I've looked at

  <https://sigs.centos.org/hyperscale/content/repositories/main/>

That seems to be focus on CentoS 8 Stream.  The package versions in 9
are actually higher than what's mentioned there.

> I am happy to act as the Board sponsor for this SIG and I believe we
> should work through any missing pieces or logistics before next
> month's Board meeting.

Thanks,
Florian